iPad 1 vs iPad 2 – Speed Test

The new iPad 2 includes a faster processor. This means that the device runs faster, right? I decided to put the new iteration beside my old first-gen iPad in order to truly put it to the test. I’m willing to bet many of you have already done this, as well. What were your results?

It’s time to pull out some raw speed tests, don’t you think? You might be inclined to do a test within a browser. The iPad 2 certainly was faster inside of the browser and when cold-starting an app. It was slightly faster, yes. I thought it would be far more interesting, though, to try out an app which is far more system intensive – Gravilux.



You can see that the app launched just a hare quicker on the new iPad than it did on the old one. I began by tweaking a couple of settings, such as increasing the size of the dots. When tapping and holding on the screens of both devices, you can see how fluid and seamless the dots begin to move. However, take a look at the iPad 2 – the dots are going just a bit faster… and you can tell this with your own eyes.

This next test not only speaks to the boosted processor but also to the better graphics involved. I increased the number of dots on each screen. I went from 6,400 dots to 14,400 dots. It’s amazing to see how much faster and more fluidly the dots are moving around on the iPad 2. It’s not a huge difference, but it IS noticeable. That, my friends, is what matters.

Several people have posted benchmarks illustrating raw speed numbers from the two devices. I think that the usability (navigating the home screens) there simply isn’t much different. The first generation iPad is not exactly a slouch. Once apps are more optimized for this new version, we may see an even larger difference between the two. These new apps should take advantage of the better processor and graphics baked in to the new device.

I’m assuming that I will sell my first gen iPad at some point in time. I don’t really need two of them lying about the house. I wanted to hang on to it for a while in order to truly test and show you the differences as I see them.

If you know of an even better app or way to compare these two machines side-by-side, drop me a line and let me know. I’d be interested in doing some more field testing.

0 comment:

Post a Comment